Botox® Injections in Jacksonville FL
by Dr. A.H. Nezami at the Jacksonville Cosmetic Surgery Center
Botox® Cosmetic injection improves the appearance of worry, frown and laugh lines, crow's feet, forehead lines and pebble chin. As certain facial muscles contract, they cause wrinkles to form in the overlying skin. Botox® Cosmetic works by weakening these muscle contractions. When the muscle is injected with a small concentration of botulinium toxin, its nerve cells are prevented from signaling the muscle contraction that causes these wrinkles. The effects of Botox are most noticeable in wrinkles that are only visible when muscles contract. As the skin loses elasticity with age, permanent creases can form leaving wrinkles that are noticeable even without muscle contraction. Botox® Cosmetic does not eliminate these wrinkles, but may help to soften them.
Botox® injection can be used in several novel ways: to raise a drooping brow, give a better shape to the eyebrows, reverse a downturned corner of the mouth, correct an asymmetry of the eyebrows, and minimize vertical bands in the neck area. Many patients who seek to diminish excessive sweating under the arms use Botox® injections to address these concerns. Botox can also be used as an effective treatment for some headaches.
Botox® Cosmetic is a sterile, purified preparation that is produced through fermentation of the Hall Strain Clostridium Botulinum type A bacteria. The Food & Drug Administration approved the use of Botox® injection for cosmetic purposes in 2002.
Botox® treatments take effect within five to seven days, and these effects last between three and four months. Ultimately, repeated injections may weaken the treated muscles, which may lead to longer lasting results requiring less product to achieve. There are no significant side effects, and patients can return to work immediately following treatments.
Before you receive your injection of Botox in Jacksonville, Dr. Nezami thoroughly examines each patient's facial musculature: the strength and movement of the muscles and their effect on the facial wrinkles of the forehead, glabella, and outer area surrounding the eye. These facial lines are carefully marked to ensure an accurately targeted treatment. Dr. Nezami maintains precise injection history charts for each of his patients. These charts guide future injection treatments and help him to maintain a consistently successful, natural result with minimal bruising. According to one representative of Allergan, the producer of Botox® Cosmetic, "Dr. Nezami has one of the highest patient retention rates in the state of Florida."
Points to Consider:
- The pain is minimal, but if you have a low tolerance for pain, we can apply a topical anesthetic cream.
- If you decide to discontinue Botox® injections, your frown lines and wrinkles will gradually return to their original form.
- You will notice the effects of your injections within a week of the treatment.
- Botox should always be injected in a doctor's office where rare, but possible adverse reactions can be treated immediately.
- Botox® injections should never be administered casually (at Botox® parties). The person administering the injections should have a deep knowledge of facial muscles in order to select the correct injection points. The injection points and the amount injected should always be accurately documented on a history chart.
- We advise patients to avoid alcohol and aspirin before receiving Botox® injections, in order to minimize bruising.
- When properly administered, the injections will not cause your eyebrows to feel heavy or lowered. The proper treatment should raise and separate your eyebrows by relaxing the muscles that pull them together.
At the Jacksonville Cosmetic Surgery Center, our patients can choose to have their Botox® injection administrated by Dr. Nezami, a board certified plastic surgeon, or by our nurse practitioner. Botox® injections performed by our nurse practitioner are always supervised by Dr. Nezami.
Important cost considerations:
- The degree to which the botulinum bacterium is diluted within a saline solution
- Total number of units used
The Botox is shipped, refrigerated, to the physician's office in form of powder. The vial of Botox contains 100 units. We dissolve one vial of Botox into 1 ml. of saline. This highly concentrated solution makes 100 units of Botox. If more saline is added to the vial of powdered Botox for reconstitution, the resulting solution is weaker. If the plastic surgeon injects more ccs than needed, an undesirable weakening of adjacent muscles can result. When comparing prices for Botox® injections, you must consider: the dilution level of Botox®, the total number of units injected, and the experience and expertise of the surgeon performing the injections. The effects of treatment will vary according to the expertise of the person performing it. We advise our patients to be wary of extremely low priced treatments.
Allergan offers a continuous discount program ranging from $50.00 to $75.00.
To schedule your Botox injection Call our Jacksonville Cosmetic Surgery Center at (904) 399-5061.