Eyelid Surgery - Blepharoplasty in Jacksonville
Eyelid Surgery in Florida
by Dr. A.H. Nezami at Jacksonville Cosmetic Surgery Center
More than any other facial feature, the eyes communicate emotion, yet they are the most vulnerable to the aging process. Drooping upper eyelids and bags under lower eyelids can dramatically and prematurely age a face. Blepharoplasty removes fat and excess skin from the upper and lower eyelids, revealing a more youthful, open, and expressive appearance.
Blepharoplasty can also improve the appearance of, but not correct, wrinkles, crow's feet and dark circles under the eyes. However, treatments that specifically target these issues are available. Our practice offers several, non-invasive products and procedures that minimize dark circles and superficial wrinkles. Microdermabraison is an effective treatment that can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, while Botox® injections can drastically minimize crow's feet.
While Dr. Nezami provides specific, detailed instruction at every pre-operative consultation, some preparations are standard. We advise all our patients to avoid taking certain medications and supplements such as aspirin, Ibuprofen and vitamin E to prevent excessive bleeding and bruising. Our patients who smoke should refrain from smoking for at least three weeks prior to surgery, as smoking interferes with blood flow to the skin, and impairs the rapid healing of incisions.
The incisions for eyelid surgery are placed within the creases of the upper lids, and directly below the lashes of the lower lids. Resultant scarring is minimal, and will fade over time.
The recovery period following eyelid surgery is short, and the associated pain is minimal, but the eyelids will feel sore and tight on the day after surgery and will bruise. After two to three days, patients are able to read, and may return to work in a week to ten days. Throughout recovery, we advise patients to elevate their heads while reclining, and to apply cold compresses in order minimize bruising and swelling. Bruising and light sensitivity often occur in the early stages of recovery and are only temporary.
The best candidates for eyelid surgery are aged forty and older, and in good general health. Patients who suffer from conditions such as dry eye, insufficient tear production, detached retina, and glaucoma must seek approval from their ophthalmologist prior to eyelid surgery.
Points to Consider
- You will experience bruising and swelling after blepharoplasty. These symptoms may take up to two weeks to fully disappear. Dr. Nezami will advise you when concealing make-up will be safe to use.
- You will not experience permanent vision alteration, but you may initially experience blurred vision due to residual, surgical ointment. In fact, upper eyelid surgery can improve your field of vision due to the removal of excess skin and weight from your eyelids.
- You may safely take a shower three to 5 days after your surgery, after your plastic surgeon has removed the sutures.
- You may resume light exercise one week following your eyelid surgery in Florida. You should wait two to three weeks before engaging in vigorous exercise.
- You will need someone to drive you home and stay with you after your surgery at least overnight.
- Eyelid surgery should take one to three hours, depending on the extent of the surgery (upper, lower, or both).
- Your eyelid surgeryin Florida will be performed in the accredited operating suite of our Jacksonville Cosmetic Surgery Center.
- The day after surgery, you will be able to watch TV, read and wear your reading glasses, but you may have blurred vision due to the surgical ointment. We advise moderation.
- No surgery is completely risk-free. Possible complications of eyelid surgery include: the inability to close the eyes due to removal of too much skin from upper eyelids or a downward pulling of the lower eyelids due to a removal of too much skin from the lower eyelids. Therefore, it is important to select an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon.
- In general, insurance companies do not pay for cosmetic surgery.
Financing Eyelid Surgery
We work with several companies that offer our patients convenient financing at the most competitive rates available. In most cases, patients can obtain approval within 24 hours.